List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker Defaults
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-21 19:01:31

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 August 2002 11:20, Lauri Watts wrote:
>> Sander Devrieze wrote:
>> > On Tuesday 20 August 2002 22:57, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> > <snip>

>> > Starting the tutorial with konqueror in a mode without all the
>> > "difficult" bars/buttons like the bookmark-bar, location-bar,
>> > navigationpanel,...
>>
>> Has anyone actually read the KDE Quickstart guide?  I'll more than
>> happily
>> accept patches to improve it, put your writing hats on.  It needs some
>> work, but it's a good basis for beginning with.
>>
>> Starting this, in KHelpCenter, is a great way to introduce new users to
>> the help facilities, in any case.
>
> i know that KHelpCenter (KHC) is getting some work on it, perhaps the
> capability for more dynamic presentations would be a worthwhile addition?
>
> what are your thoughts on this Lauri?

Well.  I'd say, either show me the patch (<g>), or add some serious ideas to
the (copious) DESIGN document in kdebase/khelpcenter.  There are thoughts
there on interfacing KHelpCenter and DCOP to create exactly this kind of
thing, but we are in a feature freeze, and so this is obviously going to be
for 3.2.  Both Frerich and Cornelius are interested and talented, and have
done some real wonders with KHC lately, so, anything is possible in the
longterm.

I'd like to point out that any solution will need to be i18n and l10n
friendly, which entirely rules out virtually anything like flash or mng
animations. Not all the translation teams have the time, expertise, or
resources to translate graphics, this has already given us trouble, so try
to avoid that. Or C++ of course, they can translate that :)

I would, of course, personally prefer something in DocBook, since we have
the tools to handle that, and it is of course precisely *for* marking up
software and interface documentation.  DocBook doesn't have to mean the
standard Help Files, take a look at the glossary (which is a normal docbook
file) or the recently added navigable contents tree, both of which are
created directly out of the source files.  There's plenty more could be
done along these lines.

Cheers,
- --
Lauri Watts