List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clock Defaults
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-08-21 16:10:02

Op woensdag 21 augustus 2002 12:41, schreef Ryan Cumming:
<snip>
Firstly, I think that the blinking colon should be disabled by default, for
two reasons:
> 1) It's useless visual noise; it distracts the user without providing any
> additional information. Using a computer is hard enough as it is.
> 2) Some system tray applications use a blinking icon to alert the user. The
> blinking colon interferes with the user's ability to determine if a nearby
> system tray icon is blinking without refocusing their attention to the
> system tray. When I used Licq regularly, I found that my ability to
> recognise its blinking message icon out of the corner of my eye was almost
> completely destroyed by the clock applet's blinking colon.

3) By most digital watches the colon only blinks when you are changing the
time...I think it's a sort of bug that it blinks in kde ;-)

> Now, for the plain clock versus digital clock debate. I don't think the
> digital clock has particularly bad usability. My reasoning is that
> LCD-style numbers are very common in modern society, and strongly
> associated with timekeeping. There are, however, a few arguments that could
> be made for the plain clock:
<snip>

4) The Plain clock doesn't blink like the Digital clock ;-)

5) Anti-alliased fonts:  it's much beautifull.

> One problem I could see with the plain clock is that the user might not
> immediately associate the numbers he sees on the panel with the current
> time. The digital clock does one thing very well: it associates itself with
> the time using a physical metaphor.

I've a digital clock with much little points... ;-)

> Could a user really be confused by the
> plain clock, even for an instant?

I don't think so.  But I see now a little bug that it can makes it more simple
when he is solved:  When you go with the cursor over the dat you see the
"long version" of the date and when you go over the time you see the
same-->???  You have to see a long version of the time(Time is now 12h and 41
minutes) when you go over the time.

--
Sander Devrieze.
Jabber ID: sander@jabber.at