List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How about a first-time interactive tutorial?
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-08-21 15:27:51

Op woensdag 21 augustus 2002 16:35, schreef Joris Benschop:
> hi
>
> I agree a 'GUIQ'-test would be handy as opposed to simple-to difficult
> questions.
> Probably the easiest way to implement such a tutorial is by using
> shockwave/director. Although I'll probably manage to code a tutorial in
> Director I do see a problem in maintaining the tutorial (i.e. keeping it
> up2date). It will also need active support from KDE to inform which will be
> the default interface etc etc). In contrast to most packages the deadline
> is a big problem: it is simply not possible to send out a 'not 100% OK'
> version as it will confuse users more than it will educate them. (Of course
> this problem will be similar when the tutorial is hacked with C++ or
> whatever). I cannot make a promise I'll manage to deliver an up2date
> version everytime a KDE update comes out. How do other people see this
> problem?

o Shockwave/director is not a good idea:  better is C++ or a webbased
solution(html, xhtml, svg,...)
o It has to be chopped in very much small parts.(Also faster to update when
there is an auto-update-option.)
o Standard filenames of every part are also a must have.

> I disagree on the download system as most people will get KDE from a distro
> that came on 2-4 640MB ISO images anyway. You cannot expect people to wait
> for 20 minutes download time after they started the tutorial. Modem users
> will simply break off.

Maybe, but I said: "optional stuff"....but maybe it's better to not use big
stuff like movies.

--
Sander Devrieze.
Jabber ID: sander@jabber.at