List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Kicker Defaults
From:       Ryan Cumming <ryan () completely ! kicks-ass ! org>
Date:       2002-08-20 10:36:18

Hi,

Kicker HEAD is currently somewhat screen-space-hungry. In fact, it becomes
almost unusable at "low" resolutions such as 800x600
(http://completely.kicks-ass.org/kicker-default-800x600.png). In this
screenshot most of the taskbar, the logout buttons, Klipper, and the clock
applet have been pushed off the right edge of the screen. This is obviously a
usability concern.

I was able to make Kicker (barely) fit the width of the screen by doing three
things:
1) Removing the window list button from the taskbar (saves ~12 pixels)
2) Removing the logout applet (saves ~38 pixels)
3) Removing all of the KOffice icons (saves ~160 pixels)

You can view a screenshot of this layout at
http://completely.kicks-ass.org/kicker-lite-800x600.png. This layout is still
far from ideal, as it still leaves very little screen space for the taskbar.

I'm very open to suggestions on this subject. I'd also make to make it clear
that this problem doesn't only affect low-resolution desktops, the default
Kicker is quite cramped even at 1024x768.

-Ryan