List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Clipboard
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-08-04 15:26:07

Am Sonntag, 4. August 2002 16:58 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:

<snip>

> So I worked out an alternative solution. The reasoning is as followed:
>
> 1. Both actions "copy" and "cut" have in common the adding of something
> to the clipboard. Thus they both have an element that shows the adding:
> the moving paper. The difference is quite obvious shown: copy leaves the
> original, cut leaves an empty place. Seems more obvious to me than a
> scissor and the doubled paper (haven't tested for small sizes like
> 16x16, though).
I really like that, did you tell the artists about it? It makes a lot of more
sense to me than the scissors I never understood anyways.

> 2. Look at the old copy symbol. The new paper moves to the left. But the
> clipboard symbol is usually at the right. Now I think it makes more
> sense if the cutted/copied paper moves in the direction of the clipboard
> symbol.
Sounds good.

> 3. I placed one action to the right, the other to the left of the
> clipboard symbol. Maybe this placement makes it easier to associate the
> action also with the place. This way you can already start to move your
> mouse cursor into the direction of the clipboard symbol while
> remembering what is where. Arrived at the position of the clibboard
> symbol a simple move to the left or to the right will reach your aim.
I am not sure about that one...

> 4. The kicker applet "klipper" is nice, but ouf of my work flow. Why not
> offer the whole usable klipper content via an additional dropdown menu
> on long button click, like with the navigation buttons of konqueror?
Sounds like an excellent feature, but for 3.2 I think.

> 5. I am not sure about this: Wouldn't it make more sense if the
> clipboard is not greyed out if no content is available but shows the
> status by an empty clipboard? The clipboard could be greyed out if
> inserting is not possible, like in readonly mode.
Inserting is not possible if there is nothing in the clipboard either, no?
Although I usually dislike automatically changing things in the UI I think it
sounds like a good idea to combine this: show an empty clipboard that is
greyed out when there is no selection.

> I really like my idea. It breaks tradition, but look at the attachment:
> Isn't the new solution a step forward in usability?
IMHO This could only be shown by "real" usability tests, but to me most of it
sounds good.

Klas