List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Direction of KDE default?
From:       Ian h <arcaneone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-27 8:45:12

--- Neil Stevens <neil@qualityassistant.com> wrote:

> On Friday July 26, 2002 12:18, Ian h wrote:
> > Since most users will be used to Windows 9X/XP ,
> the
> > initial setup must mirror that behavior model.
> This
> > means KDE should provide the new/inexperienced
> user a
> > gradual path to a more efficent way of using the
> > computer. The most important thing is that KDE
> hides
> > the OS it is running on top of.
>
> People who *want* Windows should go *use* Windows,
> instead of expecting KDE
> to come in and give them a clone of Microsoft's
> long-term investment at a
> lower cost.
>
> Further, as I understand it, the two versions of
> Windows you cite don't
> even look and act the same way.  So which is it you
> want?  And would you
> expect KDE to constantly change as Windows changes?

I agree, in alot of way the two versions are very
different. My point is to copy the inane windowism
because former Windows user have learned to expect
them.  For example, users expect to be able to Cut,
Copy and Paste by pressing crtl-x, ctrl-c and crtl-v
respective. This has no affect on KDE because these
actions can be associated with any combination of key
strokes. The important thing is that if seeming stupid
little quirks like key stroke combs go a long way to
make former users from any version Windows that much
more comfortable and more willing to give KDE a try.

Please look at my first time setting menu. It shows
that KDE's configurablity can easily handle minor
changes like shortcut triggers an action  with minimal
effort. I'd like to hear any critisms you may have
about the menu.