List:       kde-usability
Subject:    When KDE should be like Windows
From:       Irwin K <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-07-27 4:36:04

On Friday 26 July 2002 09:39 pm, Christopher Young wrote:

> I don't want a Windows clone either, I just think that KDE could benefit by
> mimicking pieces of Windows.  It helps users get into KDE and doing work
> faster.... I do see your point about 6 months down the line, but
> realistically I just think that KDE is THE project is drawing users over
> from Windows, and it would be a shame to lose the users' attention.

I think I should jump in here and make a nice blanket statement that probably
applies very nicely in discussions like these.

We should never ever say, "KDE should be more like Windows" or "KDE should be
more like ____".

If we ever start a discussion, we should say, "KDE should use feature ___
because I (or joe-scientist, or joe-user, or conductor of joe-usability
study) find it usable.  An example is in <operating system/desktop system
here> where <functionality example here>".

What Aaron's saying is, "We shouldn't copy Windows just to be like Windows."
What Chris is saying is, "Just because it's WIndows doesn't mean we should
copy it."

But when you all get down to it they're saying the same thing.

Remember that innovation is good.  But good ideas (whether innovative or not)
are even better.

--
-- Arcana  (Irwin)