List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Direction of KDE default?
From:       Christopher Young <cyoung () linuxnetworker ! com>
Date:       2002-07-26 22:42:05

On Friday 26 July 2002 05:42 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 26 July 2002 01:18, Ian h wrote:
> > Since most users will be used to Windows 9X/XP , the
> > initial setup must mirror that behavior model. This
>
> this is an assumption, and not even a correct one. there is no reason it
> "Must". if it was completely incomprehensible to the user then i'd think
> about agreeing, but that isn't the case.
>
> or are you saying we should start using drive letters? bah.
>
> *watch your assumptions!*

How many people HAVE TO KEEP SAYING THIS, before you will believe us????  Do
you hate Windows THAT much; because I think it is seriously affecting your
judgement of things.  You are taking your position too far, noone even
mentioned drive letters.  I'm saying, I'm not trying to flame or insult or
anything like that.  I'm just trying to get you to realize that every time
someone bring up mimicking something in Windows, you freak out.  KDE is
usability right now BECAUSE the choice was made to make alot of it
Windows-like.  There is nothing wrong with that!  Microsoft spent alot of
money, time, and effort to determine ALOT of the things we keep debating here
over and over and over again.  Simplify.

> > computer. The most important thing is that KDE hides
> > the OS it is running on top of.
>
> another assumption, namely what "hiding" means and given a certain
> interpretation of that word how important it is. this is an emtpy sentence.

huh? what? huh?

> > overall) behavior should. As someone said the average
> > user is interested in only getting thing done. In my
> > mind this means a improved version of what they are
> > use too. KDE should be "easier" use for most users.
>
> this is what we are striving for. copying Windows won't achieve this, btw,
> because users don't find Windows easy. they learn to cope with it, but they
> don't find it easy. just FYI.

You know what users find easy?  I'll let you in on a secret... it's WHAT THEY
HAVE USED!  Simple question.  Simple answer.  We can argue this point
forever, and then reality will dictate the same answer.

> > By reading tool tips, tutorial and generally playing
> > with settings, some of these users will find that KDE
> > has better ways of doing things.  For them, setting
> > dialogs must be very clear, interactive(immediate
> > change on Apply) and most imporyantly be
> > non-destructive(restore and default settings buttons).
<clipped>....

- --

Christopher M. Young,
RHCE, MCSE, SCSA, CCNA, CCA
cyoung@linuxnetworker.com

"We're not Taliban. We just want to work."
 -- David Vila (Mexian Migrant)