List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some conclusions regarding kickers default layout
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-26 18:38:30

On Friday 26 July 2002 07:34 am, Matt Bonyak wrote:
> On Friday 26 July 2002 09:09 am, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> > I think having an easy way to turn the computer off is a big usability
> > plus. But I appreciate that automatically logging out if you accidentally
> > hit it would be bad.
> >
> > If the default logout action is to ask whether you want to logout,
> > shutdown or restart, then this shouldn't be a problem. If people know to
> > change the logout so that it automatically immediately logs out, then
> > presumably we can also leave the decision to remove the logout applet
> > with them.
> >
> > dave
>
> ...Or just remove the nuisance/space waster, and it will still remain where
> 99% of users will expect it to be: at the bottom of the Kmenu

I think that before any changes are made to kicker defaults a usability test
should be done with live users to see if the new layout is indeed an
improvement.

It's important that such a test should contain both users with previous
Windows experience and users with previous KDE experience.

Because it is easy to make wild assertions like "99% of users will expect..."
and derive conclusions from that, but if the assertion is incorrect the
conclusion will too.

Cheers,
Waldo
--