List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Opinions on gnome2 / KDE - continued. screenshots!
From:       Matt Bonyak <dingodonkey () stny ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-07-24 14:37:37

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 10:26 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Finally, that "show desktop" button.
> > Realistically, how many average users will be pressing that on a
> > daily/hourly basis?
>
> it isn't about pressing it X times a day, it's about having access to it,
> period. it is extremeley useful if you use your desktop to store icons and
> regularly comes up as one of the "killer features" when interviewing people
> who use KDE. windows has such a tool as well, apparently...

Yes, Windows does.  It's a tiny button in the same place next to the start
menu.  If anybody can come up with a way to make the button smaller, without
uglying up kicker, I'd be interested to hear it.

> > Additionally, that 4-desktop changer
> > doohicky wastes WAY too much space for a feature that most users won't
> > take advantage of.
>
> which is why i suggested cutting it down to 2 desktops by default.
>
> > And if we're cutting the sticky button, I think there may be
> > some sentiment to just cut the whole default virtual desktop thing.  I
> > hope
>
> not having the sticky button and not having virtual desktops are completely
> unrelated. multiple desktops are, quite honestly, the best thing since
> sliced bread.

I guess I was just being hopeful :)

> there is a portion of the audience who never "get it" (less than 1 in 10
> IME), but many glom onto the idea right away as it means they don't have to
> manage their windows much anymore. just run things maximized and switch
> between desktops. this is one feature that appeals to both ends of the
> spectrum (complete newbs as well as powe rusers) but isn't as popular with
> some in the middle. strange that.

I think that that portion of the audience is a bit greater than your
estimation suggests.  When I was a young KDE newbie (we're talking 1.0 days
here), I had desktops all over the place!  At one point, I had 16 of them.  I
think this is just a part of being an overwhelmed newbie.  But now, I've
gotten accustomed to KDE, and use only a single desktop (although from the
looks of things, I should probably get back into the habit of using 2, which
is what I stuck with the longest).  The newbie is merely using it Because
It's There.  Then he realises (clearly), that he doesn't really need it, and
becomes an average middle-range user.  So the new users are really just
playing around, trying to find what they like.  And if they're not settling
into the virtual desktop scheme, then I think that should signal something.

> > Another thought, which I am still a bit torn on, is the presence of
> > konsole. It's probably best to leave it there, but I think that, were it
> > to be removed, there would be no major loss.  The class of user prone to
> > using
>
> UNIX w/out a command line. what'll they think of next. ;-) not only are we
> probably a little soon on the "don't need a command line for ANYTHING"
> point, the command line really isn't a dirty thing. it's actually very
> useful for some things and even new users get use out of it. since an
> overwhelming majority of people using KDE will be using it at some point or
> another, the konsole link should probably remain.

Yeah, that's what I reasoned before I finished typing that paragraph.  But
honestly now, do you really expect me to delete something extraneous?

> > P.S. I'll play around with configurations tonight, and post a few
> > screenshots for your viewing pleasure.
>
> sweet =)

Yeah, uh...  later ;)