List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drop file on home icon
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2002-07-22 5:16:39

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 11:18:32AM +0100, Chris January wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I reported this when KDE 3 beta was out. The responses are probably in
> > > the archives (kde-devel).
> >
> > I found the thread (http://lists.kde.org/?t=101541427700001).
> >
> > Interesting reading and nice to see that the core developers agree with
> > us. That means it's more of a "who should do it?" matter, rather than a
> > design decision. Quotes from the discussion:
> >
> > Waldo Bastian:
> >
> > > The Home button doesn't really understand that you want to "copy" the
> files,
> > > instead of "opening" the files.
> > >
> > > I think we should fix that for KDE 3.1 (maybe 3.0.1?). A solution could
> be to
> > > have an additonal "X-KDE-DropExec=" line that gets executed when a URL
> is
> > > dropped on the application. Or maybe something that will work with other
> > > kinds of drops as well (e.g. text, images) No idea how that should work
> > > then though.
> >
> > Wilco Greven:
> >
> > > An easier solution would be to make the Home Directory button a link
> instead
> > > of an application.
> ^^^^ this is my preferred solution. It really just needs to be a small
> change to CVS I think. I'm not working on KDE at the moment, because my home
> connection is too slow to sync with CVS; perhaps someone else can make a
> patch.

What reason did the developers have for making it an application link,
anyway? I just renamed my old link and changed it to open a blank file
manager window instead of $HOME, and made a new URL link to file:///$HOME,
and it works great. And now I can open up a filemanager window without

Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^