List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-20 9:55:56

On Friday 19 July 2002 21:40, Matt Bonyak wrote:
> On Friday 19 July 2002 02:18 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > <more-brainstorming>
> > Another option might be to make single-click select, but when a user
> > hovers over an icon to show a small mini-toolbar next to the active icon.
> >
> > I've been thinking about such a user interface for a while and now that
> > MSIE 6 actually implements it for images I've seen it in action. It seems
> > to work pretty well, at least for me.
> > </more-brainstorming>
>
> And now we're back to the "i hate the delay" issue.  What would you propose
> be included in the toolbar?

The most important actions from the context menu, like open, delete, copy,
paste, whatever.

An active side bar like the excellent one in Windows XP is another option. But
I didn't think of that before MS did it, so it wouldn't be an original idea
anymore ;-)

Also, it involves more mouse moving if you need to activate everything in the
side bar. There's more space, but generally you want context-dependent
options near the very context they're dependent on.

Martijn