List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: opinions on gnome2 - kpersonalizer
From:       wvl <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2002-07-20 9:06:37

On Saturday 20 July 2002 02:59, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Friday 19 July 2002 05:37, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> > Though even the mouse tutorial makes sense, it's only useful for
> > out-of-the-box installations (think Walmart), because if you install KDE
> > or even compile it from source, you most likey know how to use a mouse ;)
>
> well, back in those days (15 years or so ago?) most computer users had
> never used a mouse, so it made a lot of sense then. today, just about
> everyone knows how a mouse works.
>
> but telling them where the K Menu is might be a nice start, hm?
>
> > KPersonalizer should boil down to "What kind of system are you used to"?
>
> it also asks "How fast is your system" and "How much eye candy can you
> handle" and "Where in the world are you from?" (language, keyboard, etc).

All of which could be nicely grouped and placed into, for example
'Personalisation'.

> to say it is a theme manager is to misunderstand its purpose, or at least
> to ignore much of its purpose.

No, it IS a theme manager. Just not one that only deals with eyecandy.

> > SuSE for example has the "SuSE Tour". The question is: How far do we /
> > can we care about such "OEM" integration?
>
> well, if it is kept fairly straightfoward and modular (e.g. the walk-though
> can be stored in a (set of?) XML file(s)), ships with the default set up
> info and developed in communication w/some of the more prominent KDE users
> (SuSe, Mandrake, ...)  so as to ensure that it will be useful to them (once
> they add their own screenshots, etc), i think we can satisfy everyone.

Duplication of effort isn't always a bad thing. OEM's, such as debian and
redhat provide no desktop tours. By adding such a feature to KDE the OEM is
given a choice to enable it or not.

- wvl