List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       JESSE B BISNETTE <jbbst26+ () pitt ! edu>
Date:       2002-07-20 4:44:50

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> in all honesty, i'm very, very glad that you weren't around designing
> interfaces in the early 80s. we wouldn't have GUIs at all. everyone knew text
> interfaces, few had ever seen a mouse! wouldn't want to help them out with a
> better way of using computers. nope. give 'em what they know, that way
> they'll continue to use it.
>
> whatever.

You know what ... this is just what I was talking about earlier on the
dot.  Your respsonse here is nothing more than a barrage of person attacts
without responding to the point raised.  The original poster was just
bringing up points dealing with users habits.  In my world that is called
argument, but you take legit points and respond with a cream pie in his
face.  This is totally unprofessional and this seems to be a quite common
behavior.   This needs to be remedied!!!!

This agrument doesn't apply anyway.  First off, in the 80s only a fraction
of the users today were using computers and just about all of them were
educated people.  Today you have liberal arts students and grandmothers
using computers.  These people do not care about computers or changing
their habits.  Secondly, he wasn't talking about GUIs.  He was talking
about habits.

> > No. I'll tell you what they do, they continue using their old behaviors.
> > Witness the usability study being discussed here. Most people will not
> > care about the supposed benefits of things such as single clicking, but
> > will think that "KDE is always in my face."
>
> i don't expect people to notice, in fact, i hope they DON'T notice. one goal
> of an interface should be to get out of the way. ask people who use windows
> regularly how effective that interface is at "geting out of your way".
> uniformity in clicking is one way to help get that interface "out of your
> way".
>
> we have issues w/selection and we have people starting to think of ways to
> address that.
>
> we have issues with view vs edit in embedded viewers not being clear. and we
> have people thinking about ways to address that.
>
> what incenses me is that anything not resembling windows is decried as
> "UNFAMILIAR! UNFAMILIAR! NEW USERS WON'T LIKE IT!" ..

No where did he say make KDE resemble windows.  He just said keep in mind
the habits of the users.  Again, this brings up the other major point I
raised on the dot.  Not responding to the points at hand.

> well, i don't use KDE because i'm a new user. i don't recommend it to people i
> know because they are new users. i don't install it on the machines used by
> those i work with because they are new users. i use, recommend and install it
> because it is a good Free environment. i'd like to see it become an Excellent
> Free environment.
>
> perhaps my motivations are different than yours.

And I would like to see it become an excellent environment too.  Who here
doesn't?  I don't think his motivations are any different than yours, but

> > MS Windows has had single
> > clicking available for years; even with all the benefits associated,
> > nobody uses it.
>
> one word for you: defaults.

Yes, if this was set default at the beginning, this argument would have
valid, but I can assure you if Microsoft did this now, many would find
ways to change it back to what they are used to.

Look, I don't want to start a flame war here.  I would just like to see
this list polluted with good healthy arguments on usability issues and not
these personal attacks.

Peace,
Jesse