List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Sebastien Biot <seb () viralata ! net>
Date:       2002-07-20 1:52:00

On Thursday 18 July 2002 23:42, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>On Thursday 18 July 2002 10:57, Sebastien Biot wrote:
>> OSes. We all want to make KDE the best desktop environment out
>> there, one that truly empowers people, makes them more creative
>> and more productive.
>>
>> If that means integrating
>> inherited behaviors, even theoretically inferior behaviors, then
>> so be it.
>
>these two statements are at odds with each other.
>
>you either want to create the best desktop environment out there
> that does great things for the user, or you want to copy the
> inferior but familiar parts[1]of what's already out there. take
> your pick.

I don't see a contradiction here. The best environment is the one that
people are most comfortable with, the one that works best for them.
If we find that out of two or more solutions the one that works best
for users is the "inferior" one, in theoretical terms that is, then I
would still recommend making that one the default. What matters above
all is what people do and to me this is where the "superiority" of a
particular solution lies. Excellence is in meeting our users' needs.
Why else would we want to discuss KDE's usability?

It doesn't mean that we can't implement the "right" behavior and make
it available. It doesn't mean that we can't be creative. But we can't
have a KDE evangelist over every single new KDE user's shoulder
explaining why he/she should now comform to this new model because
people have determined that this is what's best for him/her.
Tutorials and manuals probably won't do either since most users
conscientiously avoid reading them.

Think about car design. There are probably dozens of ways to create
driver seats, controls, or displays far superior to what we're
accustomed to. But by and large, car designers respect current
standards. Yet it doesn't prevent them from making excellent,
comfortale luxury cars people are glad to drive (and buy! :-). So,
I'd rather have KDE be a <insert your favorite luxury car> than a
concept car nobody gets to drive.

Anyway... I'm not much of a car person.

Seb