List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: opinions on gnome2
From:       wvl <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2002-07-19 22:50:30

On Friday 19 July 2002 23:05, Christoph Held wrote:
> On Friday 19 July 2002 16:50, wvl wrote:

[snip]

> > So, how should KDE3/4 go about this? My opinion is that it should follow
> > gnome2 in respect to it's default desktop. I'm interested in hearing
> > your opinions.
>
> I agree.  kpersonalizer is addressing these problems. There is a lot to do,
> so it will take some time.
> Page2, the OS selection aims to handle the complete layout of the desktop
> (including panel, kmenu, ...) With a single mouse click it will (sometime
> in the future) clone windows, mac, unix or use kde-style .
> Page3, I have suggested several polls at kde-look.de about defaults (and
> have patched kpersonalizer according to the results).
> Page4, the theme selection aims to handle the complete theming of the
> desktop. (window, widgets, colors, backgroud...) With a single mouse click
> it chooses a theme simelar to windows, mac, unix or use kde-theme
> (currently only supports window, widgets, colors).

The idea behind kpersonalizer is flawed. A user does not want to be asked
questions before he/she even knows anything about the application. Better
yet, a user doesn't want to be asked any questions at all. If he/she is not
satisfied with an applications behavior, then the user will either stop using
it, or try to tweak it to their liking. Emphasize the word 'tweak'.

How can a user determine if he/she likes KDE if the first thing it does is ask
how it can best emulate the look and feel of a different OS?

Kpersonalizer makes things more complicated for the user. Instead of starting
kpersonalizer when KDE starts for the firsttime, it should start an
interactive tutorial.

- wvl