List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-07-19 19:46:42

On Thursday 18 July 2002 21:02, Poletti Don wrote:
> Single click also has problems, the one that bother me is
> the difficulty of selecting and dragging.
>
> Dragging you say?
> To open a file you click down and then click off
> To drag you click down move the mouse and then click off
> This is way too similar for such different operations if you accept
> that people have dysclicksia then it is likely that the user will
> accidentally
> release the mouse before dragging.

...and launch an app unexpectedly, which can be very confusing for the user
when an app starts up and takes the whole screen and they don't realise what
they did. This is made worse on KDE right now due to the slow GNU linker.
(I've seen this happen enough times with my GF).

A double click setup is a bit more forgiving of mistakes. If you screw up your
double click nothing much happens (your selection changes, but a successful
DC changes the selection anyway, so no big deal).

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/