List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Keramik for KDE 3.1
From:       Andrea Negro <andrea () alessandria ! linux ! it>
Date:       2002-07-19 12:11:34

On Friday 19 July 2002 13:55, Andrea Negro wrote:
> On Friday 19 July 2002 13:41, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > just out of curiosity, is anyone else running with the settings they
> > > are suggesting? (if not, please do so. we should eat our own dogfood or
> > > not make any.)
> >
> > I'm running [max] [min] [spacer] [whatsthis] [title] [close] now, but I
> > wonder if it makes much sense in my case because in 99% of all cases I
> > use the keyboard shortcuts for all window operations. At least it *looks*
> > much cleaner to me now...
>
> Uhm... I think it should be better to place 'close' on the left, and the
> rest on the right side. I think about a Windows user approaching Kde: if he
> wants to do with something about the window, it will go for the top-right
> corner: this is a habit, because Windows places buttons there. But Windows
> is not alone, Kde itself shows such a placement by default, and other WMs
> too. So, IMO non destructive buttons (as Aaron defined them! :) should go
> where users usually look for buttons, in the top-right, while close should
> be in the top-left, which is less used: placing close in a not-so-natural
> position could help to reduce problems. Don't know if I'm explaining
> clearly. :)

Uhm... I had a thought which goes in the opposite way. I like to contradict
myself so quickly. :)
Close button on the left should be dangerous, since it is just above and so
near to the 'file' menu. Btw, i personally like close, min and max on the
right, placing one or two separator between close and others. Min and max on
the left are quite unnatural to me, and close is dangerous.

What about avoiding the problem? Don't know if this should be possible, but:
if you click on close buttons a little menu drops with:
---
- No, I don't want to close!
- Yes, close the window now
- Disable this popup for all windows
---
This could be an idea? An option in window prefs could turn on and off this
feature. Just trying to think something different! :)

Kind Regards,
Andrea Negro

--
/Personal - ICQ UIN 25458773, andrea_negro@tin.it