List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2002-07-19 11:26:43

Martijn Klingens wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Uno Engborg wrote:
>

>>No, this is not poor usability. When the user single klicks the button
>>he initiates an action.  When he single click a icon e.g in a file
>>manager he does a selection. This is two very different things. If the
>>system is any good the user will get some kind of feedback showing that
>>the icon have bin selected. This way the user gets a sense of control.
>>He can select things and then decide to initiate an action upon his
>>selected items.
>>

>Excuse me for a dumb question, but why do you want to select a single item
>in the first place? Just right-click on it if you want the context menu.
>
>And if you want to select more files, use ctrl-click or click-drag, but
>that's needed anyway.
>
>Or am I missing a point here?

In the single click world it's very easy to start actions by mistake.
Now I'm not
talking about people that have grown up with windows, mac or any other GUI.
that use doubleclick, but regular KDE users.

E.g if you by mistake release the mouse prematurely when you intend drag
somthing.
Somthing that happens quite easily on some laptops with no real mouse.

If you start things by mistake you get the feeling of not beeing in
control, that could
lead to stress. It may also fuel the "If I'll touch it, it will break"
feeling that many
newcommers have towards computers.

By clearly separating actions and selections you get more control. And most
users also feel that it's logical that they should apply some more physical
effort to start somthing than just selecting it.

Regards
Uno Engborg

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]