List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Joseph Manojlovich <josephm () mail ! sis ! pitt ! edu>
Date:       2002-07-18 20:23:14

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Martijn Klingens wrote:

> What I missed in all arguments against double clicking btw is the fact that
> clicking is a strain for your lower arm and one of the causes for RSI/CRI or
> whatever it's called in your part of the world (the name tends to be
> different in other countries, even though both RSI and CRI for example are
> English acronyms).
>
> Double clicking and dragging are really evil for you, and to a lesser extend
> even clicking is. I'm not going as far as focus follows mouse myself, but I
> definitely try to minimize my mouse use and clicking, because I already have
> beginning problems and don't want the situation to worsen.

I don't know if my last email will ever get through, but in it I made
clear that I am against double clicking since I agree that it is bad UI.

The point that I am trying to make here, is that most users are used to
double clicking. I don't think they should be forced to relearn how to
click on icons, merely because we "know" that double clicking is bad for
them. Please keep the option allowing double clicking in KDE, that's all.

--
Joe Manojlovich
josephm@sis.pitt.edu