List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-18 19:56:19

On Thursday 18 July 2002 18:43, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:
> As no other popular desktop implements
> single clicking by default, nobody is expecting it when transitioning to
> KDE. And even after they understand why they get two copies of the file
> opened (because they incorrectly double clicked), they most often don't
> modify their behavior but try to change the clicking type to double.

The real usabability fix here is most likely to ignore the second click. Who
wants to fire up the file twice on purpose within the double click interval?
;-)

What I missed in all arguments against double clicking btw is the fact that
clicking is a strain for your lower arm and one of the causes for RSI/CRI or
whatever it's called in your part of the world (the name tends to be
different in other countries, even though both RSI and CRI for example are
English acronyms).

Double clicking and dragging are really evil for you, and to a lesser extend
even clicking is. I'm not going as far as focus follows mouse myself, but I
definitely try to minimize my mouse use and clicking, because I already have
beginning problems and don't want the situation to worsen.

Martijn