List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2002-07-18 7:55:43

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 08:19:50AM +0200, Simon Edwards wrote:
> After someone has learnt double-clicking and is comfortable with it, what is
> the benefit in moving over to single click? (just curious)

I learned double-clicking, myself; but when I first started using KDE, I
fell in love with single-clicking. I absolutely despise any double clicking;
it just doesn't feel pleasant (and feel is an important component of
look'n'feel). When I'm in Windows, I prefer to use a mouse driver that
allows the middle button to be programmed, and program it to general a
double click.

Simon Edwards said, in another message:
> > Of course, there are problems: with a, I have
> > been told recently that in some directory views there simply is no "blank
> > space" where a user could right-click to bring up a menu for the context
> of
> > that view instead of the context of an icon in it; with b, what would we
> > *call* the two actions? Maybe something like "Paste in current folder" vs.
> > "Paste in selected folder"?
>
> ouch. Not everything needs to be available from the RMB context menu... but
> yeah, finding some blank space is a PITA.

As for me, I like all of my most commonly-used operations to be in context
menus. My ideal way of handling this would be like Windows, where the
context menu does include Paste, and it depends on whether a file is
selected or not; but then again, I don't paste files all that often, so I
probably wouldn't mind too much. Then again, I don't have any trouble with
blank space.

Aaron J. Seigo wrote, quoting Simon:
> > Personally I can't stand single click at all, especially in the file
> > browser. How the hell are you supposed to select things when single click
> > mode also causes them to be opened???
>
> drag a box around them.

I have to side with Simon; awkward selection mechanisms was the entire
reason I finally switched off single-click. I tried auto-select for a while,
but it was buggy (I should try it on a newer build...). Sure, it's possible
to drag a box in an icon view, but in list views I end up having to find a
space out to the right of the filename that I *know* from experience is
"safe," and click there, which selects the file. I still prefer my idea:
Clicking a filename of an inactive icon makes that icon active. (Clicking a
filename of an active icon allows you to edit the filename.)

--
Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^