List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-18 6:18:06

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 06:51 pm, Sebastien Biot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I posted a couple of days ago this short paper
> (www.viralata.net/kde_usability/001_01.html) summarizing the results
> of a usability test I conducted on KDE 3.0.2. This is the first of a
> series of tests I hope to conduct this summer and fall.

Some comments on the study itself:

* What kind of background did the test-persons have?
* Did they have prior experience with computers?
* With which ones?
* For how long?

And a more philosophical question:
What are we measuring by testing how people with prior computer experience
react to KDE? Are we measuring the ease of use of KDE or are we measuring how
much KDE behaves like other computer systems? How could one measure the
usability of KDE for people that have been using KDE somewhat longer already?

I would expect that for those people differences between e.g. Windows and KDE
pose less of a problem than for people that see KDE for the first time.
Whether that is the case is a question of learnability I guess. How would you
measure that?

Cheers,
Waldo
--