List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-07-18 5:48:25

On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:22, Eric Christopherson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:38:22PM -0400, Matt Bonyak wrote:

> [context dir paste]

> >  - We all do silly things when we first learn a new interface.  Some

Users generally don't act silly, computer do all the time though. There is
more often than not some logic in the what the user is attempting...

> I would have to say that the option to paste files into the directory
> currently being viewed (as opposed to the one whose icon is selected)
> should either a) only be available when no icons are selected or b) be a
> separate action entirely.

Don't forget that there is also a the toolbar that has a Paste button, that
acts in the context of the current dir and not the currently selected dir (if
any).

> Of course, there are problems: with a, I have
> been told recently that in some directory views there simply is no "blank
> space" where a user could right-click to bring up a menu for the context of
> that view instead of the context of an icon in it; with b, what would we
> *call* the two actions? Maybe something like "Paste in current folder" vs.
> "Paste in selected folder"?

ouch. Not everything needs to be available from the RMB context menu... but
yeah, finding some blank space is a PITA.

> In any case, I really think it's lousy behavior as it stands now.

agreed.

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/