On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:29, Alistair Davidson wrote: > --- Matt Bonyak wrote: > On > Wednesday 17 July 2002 09:51 pm, Sebastien Biot > > wrote: > > The same goes for > > the single click, only > > that one takes a bit longer to learn. > I reckon that double-click is very poor usability. Well, the test shows the opposite... Personally I can't stand single click at all, especially in the file brow= ser.=20 How the hell are you supposed to select things when single click mode als= o=20 causes them to be opened??? > I > watched a new computer user yesterday puzzling over > why double-click was used on icons and single-click on > buttons in apps. Few people seem to have that problem. Basically, icons, or objects in a l= ist=20 represent something (and object, noun), while buttons just commands (verb= s).=20 Objects can be selected (single click), and also have action taken on the= m=20 (double-click). Selection doesn't make any sense for buttons of course. T= hey=20 are two very different kinds of animals, and I think most users can see t= he=20 distinction... > > "At least one user started working on one of the > > compressed files as if it had > > been available to her (and the file system) in its > > uncompressed form." > > - I agree, this is a problem. Perhaps there should > > be an indicator > > (immediate thought: very soft gold-yellow [or any > > other light colour] stripe > > at the bottom with short white text reminding the > > user that they are in a > > compressed file, and that it is read-only)? > > I'd change the whole window background colour, because > it effects the whole folder. Actually I'd be tempted to go a big more extreme. Choose a colour (like=20 gold-yellow) and use it to mark areas which are inside an archive. i.e. t= he=20 background from the filelist in an archive would be yellow, the backgroun= d in=20 the URL view would be yellow (take "/home/sbe/stuff.tar.gz/mystuff.txt",=20 "mystuff.txt" would have a yellow background) Basically to building up a= =20 'feeling' for the user that they are operating in a special area and not = just=20 a normal part of the file system. (Disclaimer: I'm just throwing this ide= a=20 out right now, it could be improved. :) ) I've received email about Guarddog in the past from someone who was viewi= ng=20 the tar ball in the Konq but then was having trouble running the shell=20 commands. The archive *looked* like it was expanded... --=20 Simon Edwards | Guarddog Firewall simon@simonzone.com | http://www.simonzone.com/software/ Nijmegen, The Netherlands | "ZooTV? You made the right choice." _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability