List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mounting Media
From:       Ian h <arcaneone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-17 8:20:45

--- Joseph Wenninger <jowenn@kde.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm assuming you are using Linux. For other
> operating systems (BSD,.....) I
> don't have the knowledge to implement it correctly
>
> Add to the mount options user into the fstab instead
> of the possibly existing
> nouser.

Most distros handle this on install.

>And turn the Unmounted cdrom/floppy...
> devices in the desktop
> configuration on. If you click onto the devices they
> are mounted
> automatically if possible. Unmounting is possible
> with the RMB menu

KDE already does that automatcly if automount is
present. The RMB menu might not be a bad idea
especially if automount is not installed.

> If you open devices:/ in konqueror you will see all
> devices from the fstab.
> Attention: There is a small bug in konqy's sidebar
> which could cause a crash,
> if you add the devices:/ link into it

Does this exist? Wehter it does or not, it a bad. Most
users are expecting at the very least an icon on the
desktop for each removable device on their machine. As
far as I know this along with the status of each
device (empty or "full") already exists in KDE. (maybe
I was imagining they did(2.2.x)?, but I just checked
and they don't (3.?)  Adding a special "device" prefix
in the URL box just reintroduces the same complexity
that the desktop icons try to remove.

If I understand what your trying to do. I would
suggest instead adding an entry for each device on the
"home" only dir tree similar to Windows explorer.
These entries would reflect the same information as
the desktop icon though would be treated as
directories in terms of menu options along with
u/mount (basicly what would be in the RMB menu). In
the case of more than one type of drive(i.e. two
cdrom's) place them in the same order of thier real
drive mapping (i.e. hd/sd(x)). Most users rarely know
exactly which one is which as long as the drives are
in the same relative order.

> Kind regards
> Joseph Wenninger
>
> On Tuesday 16 July 2002 18:06, Marten Klencke wrote:
> >
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I just thought of something: when I mount media
> (cd-roms, floppies...) I
> > generally open Konsole and do it from bash. After
> mounting, KDE puts
> > an icon on the desktop.
> >
> > Now, I was thinking, how would a not-so-power-user
> go about mounting media?
> > The only easy way I see atm is supermount, which
> mounts media as soon as
> > they are inserted into the drive. But this doesn't
> work for floppies on
> > non-macs (or other systems that can eject
> floppies), does it?

use the "sloppy" mount option; This makes sure there
is a floppy (and its writable) before trying to write
data to the drive.

> > Automount doesn't really do the job as it only
> checks drives upon entering
> > the mount point in the filesystem. Finally, if the
> user doesn't use any of
> > these, the shell seems to be the only option.

Auto/Supermounting works fine. If the OS/arch doesn't
support it then it would be a problem. Eject can
overcome the unmounting problem with cdroms, Zip
work-alikes, Mac floppy drives and other mechinally
controled tray-like devices. It allows easy auto
umounting of a drive.

> > Maybe I'm overlooking something here, and it is
> imho very clean to only
> > show icons of media that are currently mounted,
> but how does the user mount
> > things then?

On a similar tangent, I was wondering how to show
hot-pluggable (mainly USB and FireWire) devices in
standard way. Listing the conected devices could be
done with a simple applet. Drives would just
represented as removable devices like cdroms are. The
gray area would be  with other IO devices like web and
photo cameras and the like. I sure this is going to
open a whole can of worms