List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Cluttered context menu from files in konqeror and on the desktop.
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2002-07-16 16:13:14

I had my first look at KDE 3.1alfa today.

When I looked at the context menu from  files on the desktop or in Konqueror
I think they look a bit cluttered.  There are a bit too many choises to
read and
select them fast.

Perhaps the "Sharing" menu item could be removed, and let sharing be
configured
from the "Properties" dialog as already is possible.
I think that if there should be a "Sharing" menuitem at all, it should
NOT be
the last item of the menu.  This place should be reserverd for the
"Properties..." item.
That way you would get a consistent look among files and directories.

Properties is a general thing that could be applied to other things than
files and directouries in the
GUI.. Having a standard place for such a menu item would probably be a
good idea.
Most other OS:es place the property menu items last in menus, why not do
this
in KDE as well.

But the question is wheter there need to be a sharing menu at all.
Sharing files is probably not
done all that often by most users.  In my oppinion it would be
sufficient with the
"Local Net Sharing" tab in the properties dialog.

Then there is the "Delete" and "Move to Trash" items. I would guess that
most users
develop a strategy for deleting files. They either move files to the
trash, or they delete
them directly. My suggedtion is too remove the "Delete" item, and make
the behavior
of the Trash configurable to either delete files directly or store the
files until the user
explicitly emties the trash. The power user could still be able to
remove files directly
by  shift-delete as long as this behaviour is described in the trash
configuration.
I suggest that this kind of configurations should be made in the
properties dialog
of the trashcan. By removing the "Delete" item users with "move to trash
before
deleting" strategy could not select "Delete" by mistake.

Speaking of the "Trash" should it really be shareable? Could this not be
a potential
security risk. E.g. a user shares his trashcan as he wants some coworker
to have
his trash. He may then forget about his shared trashcan and may share
sensitive
material that he intended to delete.

The "rename" menu item could be replaced  by changing the name in the
"properties"
dialog and by making the Filename text directly editable if the file was
selected.

Wouldn't this be simpler to use? Any disadvantages?

Regards
Uno Engborg