List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Constructive feedback from Eugenia
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-07-14 12:21:12

Simon Edwards schrieb:

> On Saturday 13 July 2002 23:14, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Reading this and just being annoyed once more by the splitter in
> > konqueror that separates e.g. the dir tree view and the file view that
> > moved when I resized the whole konqueror window I felt to post this:
> >
> > Would it not be an improvement in usability when one could adjust the
> > splitter behaviour for resizes?
>
> errr... no. All you have done is turned the annoying task of adjusting the
> splitters after a resize into the equally annoying task of adjusting the
> splitters before a resize, plus added more widgets and junk to the screen.
>
> What would be a win for usability is if konq could tell Qt that the dir list
> should preferably be kept fixed while allowing the htmlviewer part to change
> size during a resize.  That would make sense. I'm not sure if this is
> possible now.

Well, what about a konqueror view profile without the dir list, but a
few file views? What should the standard behaviour be then?

And as I seem to be the first to complain about this (didn't check the
buglist though) the actual behaviour is not annoying a lot people.

Really, isn't my proposed adding to the splitter little "junk" for much
gain? Direct access to the control, perfect fitting to one's own styles.
And how do you expect the collapsable splitter to look like? It will get
a handler on the splitter itself, too. Maybe both handler could even get
integrated (e.g. using MMB for resize adjustment).

Think about Kate, KDevelop, Quanta, and all the other apps that use
splitters? There isn't always _the_ central view part that should resize
with the app's window.

-> That is why I propose user settings.

Watch your behaviour, how often do you adjust the splitter after
resizing konqueror window in the example given in my first posting? Each
time? I almost do.
-> So _one_ adjusting before all the resizes is less than _many_
adjustings after.

My opinion :)

Friedrich