List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Constructive feedback from Eugenia
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-07-13 21:14:39

Daniel Molkentin schrieb:

> On Friday 12 July 2002 00:31, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >5) File dialog
> >Aaron is working on that already. We really need a collapsable QSplitter
> > btw, has someone begged the trolls for that already? Shouldn't be too hard
> > to hack that into Qt itself, no?
>
> We begged for that more than 10 times. Each time it was a different person
> asking. No success yet :(
>
> The problem is that the current API is not suitable to extend it (and QStyle
> is not), so it'd really need an implementation in QSplitter or a new
> KSplitter class written from scratch (i.e. not inheriting from QSplitter)
>
> We'd need that badly for the sidebar, too btw..

Reading this and just being annoyed once more by the splitter in
konqueror that separates e.g. the dir tree view and the file view that
moved when I resized the whole konqueror window I felt to post this:

Would it not be an improvement in usability when one could adjust the
splitter behaviour for resizes? Like
1. "keep relation",
2. "keep right size",
3. "keep left size"?

Could be marked by a little symbol on the symbol like

1. +   2.  <   3.   >

In case of more than one splitter involved the "keep relation" would
have to get lower priority, of course, to have a definable reaction on
resizes.

In case of a rewrite of KSplitter, isn't this something worth to
integrate?

Friedrich