List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Quick Links Sidebar (Was: Re: file dialog section of eugenia's article)
From:       Irwin K <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-07-13 16:09:05

On Thursday 11 July 2002 08:07 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> and where would we point them to in the file system?
> my music directory happens to be /home/music ....
> my downloads usually go to /home/aaron/src .... (guess what i'm usually
> downloading? ;-)

By default, they could point to something similar to how Desktop and Trash
are...?

But imagine.  Wouldn't it be nice to have the buttons configured to be your
own locations?  So instead of hitting the bookmarks in the top, or typing in
your directory all the time, you'd hit the big pretty icon and ta-da, it
would save for you.  Of course the problem is that we'll need a separate
place to PUT these configuration options.  Maybe this idea can wait until
you're done the file dialog's genera re-layout and we can add extra side
links later.

> the problem isn't so much that we can't or wouldn't set up some useful
> links, but rather tha we don't have anywhere standard to point them to. i
> hope you'll agree with me that having dead links would be worse than no
> links.

If we want to be really odd/weird or, potentially, totally user friendly, we
can make folders inside "Desktop".

"Pictures"
"Music"
"Downloads"

They'll be nice and obvious for a new person logging into KDE because they'll
be right on the desktop.  It helps reduce the, "Where'd I put that file
again?" problem that everyone has once in a while.

Problem of course is that it adds 3 icons to the desktop that might not be
welcome to power users.

--
-- Arcana  (Irwin)