List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: knotifywidget
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-07-11 21:38:04

On Thursday 11 July 2002 04:17, you wrote:
> I tried hard, but we had 36°C and my poor computer doesn't work well lat
> those temperatures :( The CPU is a bit defect and it simply crashes the
> system when it's getting a bit warmer :-/

eek.. i start to melt at about 28, forget about the computer!

> > if you do not want to / do not have the time to do this, please let me
> > know when the knotify kcm is finished so that i may do so
>
> Ok. Then we have the question, what the application specific dialog should
> do. Should it also offer that option?

hrm... is that setting available on an app-by-app basis? i think it is a
desktop-wide all-or-nothing type setting, right?

if so, then the dialog in an application should probably inform the user
(usaing a simple qlabel at the top of the window?) that the system bell (such
a nasty term ...) is being used for notifications and provide a nice link to
change that or to go to the system bell settings ... the widgets should be
greyed out  as well ...

> It becomes worse, if you imagine the same in the kcontrol module -- not
> just for one app, but for all! Maybe a checkbox above the buttons "Apply to
> all Applications" (only in kcontrol) would be ok?

oh, it applies to just one application at a time in the kcm? i thought it turn
off ALL sounds in the kcm ... if it is app-by-app i would suggest changing it
to truly turn off ALL sounds in the kcm ...

> > i contemplated an "All" item in the Events list, but then the URL
> > choosers would be rather irrelevant ...
>
> Flexibility and usability don't always work hand in hand ;)

/me nods, looking for the middle ground

> Now imagine an event:
> "Es ist ein schweres Problem aufgetreten, das zum Abbruch des Programms
> geführt hat". Yes, translations may be even longer than the original
> strings. So I don't think, arranging the events and the actions
> horizontally is an option.

erf! that is quite long ... ok, agreed, vertical layout it must be ...

> > it might still be nice to show some sort of a summary for each item as
> > well so that one can glance down the list and see what's what. a set of
> > small icons in a second column in the list might do well. but that's a
> > nicety that can probably be left till later =)
>
> Yes, I had that in mind already -- some pixmaps in the listview or
> something like that.

> See attached the current version -- please use that as a basis, because
> that one has some more meaningful variable names than the one before :]

heh... more meaningful than Button1? ;-)

it's looking nice ... the only other thing i might suggest is an "Advanced
Options" button that shows/hides all the action options below "Play a
sound".. waldo is quite right that it is overwhelming and more really more
functionality than most users need or want

(i've been asking around and you should see some of the looks on their faces
when they come to things like "Log to a file" or "Print a message to standard
out".. it's quite rewarding. ;)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein