List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Generic splash screen class?
From:       Andrea Negro <andrea () alessandria ! linux ! it>
Date:       2002-07-11 12:54:09

On Thursday 11 July 2002 13:41, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday July 11, 2002 04:21, Christoph Held wrote:
> > No, beginners are just looking on the center of the screen and see
> > nothing happen. They don't see the hourglass. I have seen many users
> > opening one application multiple times.
>
> If an app takes too long to show its window, then that app needs to be
> fixed.  Don't initialize everything that can possibly be initialized on
> app startup.
>
> Masking over that with a splash screen just adds to the problem.
This is nonsense.
I use Together, and it takes more than a minute to load, because it is a very
hugh app, it must load the jvm first, then initialize a lot of stuff before
showing the window. They use a splash screen, with a progress bar inside.
What do you suggest, that user click in icon, then sits down for 2 minutes
not knowing if application is coming up or not?
And if you're right, Kde splash screen with icons showing the loading status
means that kde should be fixed? And Gnome too?
Splash screens could be useful, removing them in a blind way is against
usability, IMO. There should be an option to turn it on or off, but this
should be a user's chioce, and splashes should be turned on by default.

Kind Regards,
Andrea Negro

--
/Personal - ICQ UIN 25458773, andrea_negro@tin.it