List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol
From:       Daniel Molkentin <daniel () molkentin ! de>
Date:       2002-07-09 20:57:21

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 22:42, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
>The KControl of my latest checkout still has the Information subtree.
>Also, I believe what the original poster meant was to put the output of
>the sections on the appropriate tabs, i.e., the Sound control panel
>would contain the sound information section, not have it seperated into
>an Information tree.

This is being worked on.

>> Sorry, I don't want to tear that nice idea down, but that's just the plain
>> facts that I collected so far. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but great ideas
>> without someone translating them in code are wasted time.
>
>I thought the main problem with code was that most developers don't
>bother to work out the usability aspects before coding.
>
>Did I say something wrong here? Or are you just having a bad day?

No, I'm fine. I had a fantastic day enjoying the sun while doing some
inline-skating.

My point is simply that everyone is just talking. As already pointed out, that
is necessary, _but_ the actual developmnet has to go en-par with it.
Otherwise, wrinting all your (mostly valid and well-meant) ideas becomes a
waste of time, and I think we all agree that our contributions should lead to
something useful.

Too many good ideas go down the drain these days and I just want to ensure
that everyone is aware of the facts when they propose something.

Another thing I pointed out is that I didn't try to be desctructive in my
mail. I just listed all points that came in to my mind within 5 minutes and
wrote them down. Those are facts and I belive that KDE needs something like a
Device Manager. If you read carefully, many of the things on the to-do list
don't need a coder, but they need poeple that dive a bit deeper into KDE than
just looking at the GUI (again: don't get me wrong, this is needed, but it's
not enough alone for an OS-Project as already pointed out earlier in several
threads on this ML).

I hope that clarifies my statements a bit.

Cheers,

</daniel>

(who liked the good times where people attached (fake-)screenshots and .ui
files to their postings)

- --
Daniel Molkentin <molkentin@kde.org> | The K Desktop Environment
KDE - Konqueror your Desktop!