List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Strategy Discussion
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-07-09 16:30:06

 --- "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@olympusproject.org>
wrote:

> > It's typically associated with a
> > 'wake-up' call.
>
> OSS is based on positive engergy, not negative
> energy. fear of loss is far
> less useful than promise of gain in these projects
> (think about the
> motivators involved)

And IIRC, reward is a greater motivator than
punishment, and is remembered for longer.

> > This could take the form of a
> > report that Gnome is 'better' than KDE by a
> > respected group or a full usability study by a
> > professional organization,
>
> yeah, stirring up the GNOME vs KDE flames would be a
> great way to make friends
> and motivate people. please.

That's how a company would do it, often. The
difference is that we don't need centralised control
and having happy developers is among our goals
regardless of the effect of happiness upon their
productivity.

--
Alistair, sloooooooowly catching up on his email