List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: OT: My KControl modules disappeared
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2002-07-08 13:54:32

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 09:17:04AM +0100, ttolst@tiscali.dk wrote:
> >From: Nadeem Hasan <nhasan@nadmm.com>
> >I don't think its a design flaw or bug at all. If a user has write permission
> >on /etc and deletes bunch of config files while playing with konqy, that
> >would
> >probably make his system unusable. Is this a design flaw of Unix itself?
> >That
> >is why we have permissions and previleges.
>
> I don't think this example is good at all. I would say there is a huge difference
> between using the menu editor, or playing around with a set of .desktop
> files that the user have no way of knowing is important for anything but
> the kmenu, and removing things in /etc, unless you can point me to a program
> that might do this without the user actually knowing it happens.

There should at least be an indication of when you're modifying your own
copies of the applnks/kcontrol applets/whatever and when you're modifying
the system-wide ones.

Also, I don't know that it's really apparent that menu items either *can* be
hidden or *should* be. I know I didn't find out about that until a few
months ago (and of course Hidden and NoDisplay are two completely different
things!)

--
Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^