List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Strategy Discussion
From:       Irwin K <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-07-06 4:51:08

On Friday 05 July 2002 01:09 pm, Robert Watkins wrote:
> Believe it or not, I've actually benefited from
> the discussion on this topic. Rather than
> continue to discuss the merits and implementation
> of Usability in KDE, I'd like to suggest we
> pursue a Usability Certification program.
>
> I intended to take into consideration the varying
> degrees of interest as well as not implying that
> all KDE Developers are required to do anything,
> but offer a way to pursue Usability.

My main concern is HOW you'll determine if a KDE application is usable.
Who'll execute the usability test plans?  Who'll sit down in front of the
computer and use the application?

We have problems finding 3 people to do usability testing with KDE, let alone
30 required to go through a number of applications.

I think before we go to certification, we should probably write up a basic
"protocol" for usability testing under KDE: for example, technologies, forms,
etc. that can be handed out to people who say, "I want to test KDE on my
mom."

I started a task list (sorry, I didn't finish) and some other related
documentation but received no comments.

I think you should file this and keep it on hand, though.  The idea of
certifying is fundamentally a good idea.  As Aaron said there's a problem
with motivation though.... I think a deeper problem is getting an application
actually verified.

--
-- Arcana  (Irwin)