List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Strategy Discussion
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-07-05 9:59:39

On Friday 05 July 2002 11:09, Robert Watkins wrote:
> -------------------------------------
> The KDE Usability Labs Certification Program

/me again looks around trying to find these "labs"

what's wrong with "usability project", e.g. what we've been calling it all
along? "labs" is not only strangely unfitting but also patently false.

> recognizes the effort of Usability Testing and
> use of Usability Techniques for any OSS
> application, but preference is given to KDE
> applications. When an application achieves any

i'd say we limit it to KDE applications. i really have no interest in trying
to figure out the usability guidelines for non-KDE apps which do have some
comprehensive guidelines and frameworks to use.

i'd also rather not get into "i got that rating because i'm not a KDE app!"
sort of situations. bleh

> 1) Instructions for including the appropriate
> "KDE Usability Certified" logo and link on the
> project website and will confirm the
> application's certification level. This will help

FYI, many kde apps do not have their own website, and of those that do have
websites very few are frequented. i'm constantly pointing people to
www.konqueror.org for instance, on how to set up java in konqueror.

> The levels of certification are used to not only

i wonder what the reaction of developers would be to this: e.g. would they
bother. if they won't, then there isn't much purpose.

can you put this info on a web page somewhere that i can point people to so as
to gather reactions, as that is what really matters here?

i also think we'll need to offer something more than a png to put on their web
page and a pat on their back. those things mean something in terms of
commercial marketing, but really mean about diddly in the Free software
world. i'm not sure what further incentive could be offered, really. perhaps
a listing on a prominent kde.org website .... in any case, this will require
strong developer buy in.

p.s. this is highly personal, i know, but your skinny collumn emails make my
eyes bleed. with your 100+ line long emails my eyes get tired having to flit
back and forth so often.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein