List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Strategy Discussion
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-04 7:28:27

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 06:41 pm, Robert Watkins wrote:
> >> Doesn't it concern you that developers are
> >> creating programs without an understanding
> >> of the subject matter?=20
> >
> >Why should that concern me?
>
> Dear Lord! Without understanding, at a minimum,
> the needs that a user would have and which the
> application is intended to fill seems a colossal
> waste of time.

It's not where you go, it's the road you travel.

> If you _are_ working towards the Olympics and
> fail to learn the best techniques, enhance your
> existing techniqes, get feedback from people you
> trust and/or respect, don't be surprised if you
> don't get there. If you're just out for a good
> time, don't sweat it if you aren't making
> progress. As long as you're having fun, don't
> change.
>
> Similarly for Usability. If your whole goal in
> volunteering for OSS development is to have some
> satisfaction in affecting an appliction, then
> keep working the way you are. However, if you are
> interested in Usability, you have to get
> knee-deep in the subject to gain any benefit from
> it. Just calling a discussion about "Look at my
> new screenshot!" isn't appropriate as a general
> Usability topic.

Well, I'm trying to explain the situation as it can be found within KDE. Which
percentage of KDE developers can be found on this list? 1%, 10%, 50% or 90%?
I would put my bet on 1%. That probably means that 99% of the KDE developers
do not plan to get a degree in Usability this year. You can have an opinion
of that, but it doesn't change the situation. Accept it.

Now, the people that _ARE_ on this list, _ARE_ interested in Usability. So I
would like to think that the people on this are interested in moving
Usability within KDE further along. I have tried to explain what motivates
people to work on KDE. That's a given. We can't change that. The big variable
here is you, us. What actions can _we_ take to improve usability in KDE,
which actions have the highest return in terms of optimizing usability? How
much time do you personally want to spend on KDE per week? How can you spend
that time the best in terms of usability return on invested time?

I know what the textbooks say about the software development process, I know
about CMM, the telecom company I worked for was at CMM level 3 and I think
CMM is great. I also know that those things don't work that way wihin KDE.
KDE is not a company, KDE developers are not employees yet those same KDE
developers as well as the way in which those developers are organized are the
core assets of the KDE project. So set the textbooks about software
development processes aside, remember what you learned from them and then be
creative in finding new ways of applying that knowledge in this completely
different environment that is called KDE.

Now that's a challenge, isn't it?

Cheers,
Waldo
--