List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal for KControl
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-07-02 6:25:32

[Can someone ensure that everyone involved in this discussion gets these
emails. Crossposting gets tricky with RO lists involved...]

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 04:10, Jason Wood wrote:
> (CC'd to Waldo because I don't think I can post directly to core-devel)
>
> On Tuesday 02 Jul 2002 1:43 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 June 2002 02:16 pm, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > > I just commited Peripherals, please take a look.
> >
> > I strongly doubt whether Keyboard Shortcuts belongs under peripherals.
> > Keyboard shortcuts are not a property of the keyboard, they are a
> > property of the applications and/or the system in general.

If the Double/Single Click experiance is anything to go by... (Basically,
absolutely no-one expects to find the switch between single and double click
in Periphals->Mouse. Everyone goes to the Desktop settings first. Hell, a lot
of people jump on IRC to ask someone else where to find it...) ...then I
suspect that people won't expect Keyboard Shortcuts under the Keyboard
control.

> I believe the problem here is with the word "peripherals". To me, that
> means hardware things, such as mouse double click speed, and how fast the
> keyboard auto-repeats. Change the word to be something that more
> generically means "Keyboard, mouse, and other human-computer interaction
> devices such as joysticks, light pens and touch screens... options" -
> obviously we need something a little shorter though ;-) and then it makes
> more sense to group everything together.

To me I assumed it meant just "Hardware". More so, the big (usability) problem
is that normal users don't know what the smeg a "peripheral" is. Seriously,
"Peripheral" is a geek word straight out of the computer industry. It really
should be replaced with "Hardware". At least then some people might know what
it means.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/