List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal for KControl
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2002-06-30 17:54:05

On Sunday 30 June 2002 09:42, Simon Edwards wrote:
> Hi,

> errrr.... because the same information that is provided is relevant
> to configuring other aspects of the system. Configuration and
> "getting info" about a system are closely related tasks when you
> think about it.
>
> The "Information" group has got to go still. "Information" as a
> concept/grouping doesn't fit the other groups. "Information" is a
> different kind of thing than "Network" or "Sound".
>
> What I would like to see is the "Peripherals" top level get renamed
> to something people understand, like "Hardware". All the read-only
> hardware information 'controls' (Block Devices, IO-Ports etc) be put
> together onto one 'control' page using tabs. This new merged control
> should then, logically be placed under the "Hardware" top level
> group... and called "Information".

But we cant configure the hardware from within kde anyway, so i dont see
what it is useful for in the rest of kcontrol, so unless you plan to
make a ms like "device manager" then i dont see the point of this.

> > > I like that. I can make a patch for that if people like.
> >
> > I do like that. If nothing else, it removes an entire toplevel
> > entry in the control center without losing any functionality.
>
> Please don't go making patches yet. This topic needs to be discussed
> and planned out properly first.

I agree on this in general for the control center modules, but in this
single case i think it makes sense to make a "system information"
program instead of having them in the control center, and i think it
could be a good thing to do that before 3.1. Then later if things are
configurable from within kde then i think it maybe should go in again,
but in its current form i cant see what it is doing in there at all.

Mvh
Troels