List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal for KControl
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-06-30 9:42:14

Hi,

errrr.... because the same information that is provided is relevant to
configuring other aspects of the system. Configuration and "getting info"
about a system are closely related tasks when you think about it.

The "Information" group has got to go still. "Information" as a
concept/grouping doesn't fit the other groups. "Information" is a different
kind of thing than "Network" or "Sound".

What I would like to see is the "Peripherals" top level get renamed to
something people understand, like "Hardware". All the read-only hardware
information 'controls' (Block Devices, IO-Ports etc) be put together onto one
'control' page using tabs. This new merged control should then, logically be
placed under the "Hardware" top level group... and called "Information".

> > > I don't know. I've thought for a long time that it would be better
> > > to split it into it's own "System Information" Container
> > > application (which could be a special mode of the Control Center
> > > Applications)
> >
> > I like that. I can make a patch for that if people like.
> I do like that. If nothing else, it removes an entire toplevel entry in
> the control center without losing any functionality.

Please don't go making patches yet. This topic needs to be discussed and
planned out properly first.  Re-organising the control center is a big job
and one that this list should go about doing in a systematic way.  (I just
wish I had the time right now do finish the Control Center catalogue, and put
some real thought into a re-organisation, and making up some _good_ top level
categories... other things must come first right now I'm afraid..)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/