List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Wanted: Better name for krfb (and maybe more)
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-06-28 23:43:06

Hi...

KRfb is a VNC server that I wrote and that is scheduled to appear in KDE 3.1's
network package. You can find it in kdenetwork/krfb.

If you know Windows XP's Remote Assistance feature you pretty much know how it
works: The user can invite a friend to help him by creating an invitation and
then either send it via email or tell the parameters over the telephone. The
friend will then start his VNC client and connect to the user's desktop, so
he can see our user's desktop.  Optionally the user can also allow his friend
to control the mouse pointer and use the keyboard.

The invitation function can be found in KMenu/System. It starts with the
dialog that you can see in the attached snapshot.
There is also a kcontrol module for advanced users that can be used, among
other things, to open the server for uninvited, password-protected
connections.

What I need is a better name for krfb, and I would prefer a descriptive name.
So far I have used "Desktop Sharing", but I dont think that it fits very
well. There is a also a VNC client in CVS that is called "Remote Desktop
Connection" (called short krdc in the repository), and it would be logical if
the two sound like they belong together.
I could also need a better introductory text for the dialog, a nicer app icon
and possibly a lot more...

bye...

["krfb.jpeg" (image/jpeg)]