List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: "Over configurability" - please don't listen to bashers!
From:       Poletti Don <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 17:59:57

Ronald,

>Have you ever heard about users complaining about it being
>"over-configurable"? I haven't. Instead it is very often used as *the*
>example of how to design a user-friendly package.

I would have to disagree with you. I have complained about it and
I am a KDE user. Please do not espouse your view as the only view. I
am not a basher I want KDE to be better. The day we stop listen to
what people are complaining about is the day KDE stops improving.

Most reviews of KDE complain that the control center is way too
complicated and I agree. It would be great if the usability team
could simplify the dialogs without losing configurability. In fact
most of the maintainers won't except the usability team removing
some functionality. However I think it is still worthwhile for
the usability team to try to removed unneeded configurablity and
it is the maintainers job to justify why to keep it. This is
healthy arrangement that hopefully results in the best design.

For instance we had a discussion about removing the pixmap cache
setting on the background dialog. Most people felt this is never
touched by 99% of users. Or this is something that the software should
be able to figure out the optimal setting. The discussion went on to
mention that the software doesn't know about other programs that
will be run so it can't determine the optimal setting.

>But lately, I see more and more the "If it's not in Windows or
>MacOS it's
>unfriendly and worthless" - attitude against everything that is new or
>different, which makes me very sad. Windows has some good
>elements, sure, but

I have never heard this argument on this list and I doubt it
would be listened too if it was brought up.