Hi! On this and on other lists, there have been a push to reduce configurabil= ity,=20 because it would "confuse" users or because some KDE-haters complain abou= t=20 it. I've never heard a user of ANY software product complain about=20 over-configurability, only from people who don't like said software produ= ct. There is no such thing as over-configurability, only stupid defaults and = badly=20 reachable configuration options (but removing those options will make it=20 worse, not better!). Novices will just use the defaults and won't be affe= cted=20 by any configuration options at all. The problem about KDE-haters is that: - They don't want KDE to become better. - They don't want KDE to succeed. - The whining/complaining won't stop when you do what they want. For example look at the product that has probably more configuration opti= ons=20 than any other: MS Office. Have you ever heard about users complaining about it being=20 "over-configurable"? I haven't. Instead it is very often used as *the*=20 example of how to design a user-friendly package. As an example, the suggestion to add more window-placement strategies was= =20 smacked down of this, even though a patch exists: http://lists.kde.org/?l=3Dkwin&m=3D102168612625109&w=3D2 "And yes, adding many features rarely used _do_ hurt other users. In the=20 specific case of window placement, adding the new policies to the combo-b= ox=20 would be required (in kcontrol) and this will add more to the already=20 confusing over-configurability of KDE, a thing that is very often critici= zed." Criticized by whom? Buy KDE-users? I doubt that. Let's face it: It doesn't matter what you do, the bashing and whining will never stop. T= here=20 are thousands of MSFT-shareholders out there and even more MCSEs and othe= r=20 people who will hate anything non-Windows no matter what you do. If you d= o=20 things differently than in Windows, bashers will complain about it not be= ing=20 "user friendly" (and the fact that it's not in Windows is enough to claim= =20 it's not user friendly, unfortunately) or "over-configured", if you do th= ings=20 like in Windows, the very same people will claim KDE is just a rip-off.=20 Trying to please bashers is fighting a losing battle. I always liked KDE because it combined useful features of all three DEs (= Win,=20 Mac, classical Unix) and threw in intelligent and useful additions.=20 Especially the latter are in danger. For example I still wonder why the=20 TearOffHandles were removed in the quickbrowsers in kicker. It was a very= =20 useful feature and made quickbrowsers really useful. But lately, I see more and more the "If it's not in Windows or MacOS it's= =20 unfriendly and worthless" - attitude against everything that is new or=20 different, which makes me very sad. Windows has some good elements, sure,= but=20 it is certainly not the best interface imaginable. For example think of a= ll=20 the registry-hacks that exist because of lack of GUI-configurability. Is = it=20 really worth to introduce the same horror to KDE "just because it's like = that=20 in Windows, therefore it must be right"? Thanks for listening, Roland --=20 Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else. _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability