List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: OT: My KControl modules disappeared
From:       ttolst () tiscali ! dk
Date:       2002-06-26 8:17:04

>From: Nadeem Hasan <nhasan@nadmm.com>
>I don't think its a design flaw or bug at all. If a user has write permi=
ssion
>on /etc and deletes bunch of config files while playing with konqy, that=

>would
>probably make his system unusable. Is this a design flaw of Unix itself?=

>That
>is why we have permissions and previleges.

I don't think this example is good at all. I would say there is a huge di=
fference
between using the menu editor, or playing around with a set of .desktop
files that the user have no way of knowing is important for anything but
the kmenu, and removing things in /etc, unless you can point me to a prog=
ram
that might do this without the user actually knowing it happens.

If the menu editor can fubar the system then it is bad, no matter if the
user is running as root or not. (of course he might remove all the items
in the menu, but i cant see why that should break the control center)

So to me this sounds like a dangerous issue for those who run kde as root=

(yes, it might be stupid, but yet i cant see the big problem on a single
user machine) or those who have to install kde in their homedir (me at wo=
rk
:)

And no, windows wont break things if you remove your start menu entries,
which in itself is slightly surprised :)

Mvh
Troels