List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kilt - KDE I18n & L10n Tool
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-06-25 17:46:19

Hi,

> I take your point. There certainly are people who will want Hindi in the
> US, etc. However,  in most cases, taking a reasonable guess will work - for
> example, most, though not all, US users will want a standard 105 (?) key
> keyboard and US English.

I'm usually all for simplification, but I don't think it's really a good idea
in this case. The problem is actually a big one, with the USA being probably
one of the easy cases. :) Think about Europe. Belguim (2 langs), Switzerland
(3 langs), even in the Netherlands a lot of people like english software (but
that might have more to do with translations costing more than the english
version of most software). not to mention dialects that KDE might be in.

> The problem, as you point out, is that to fine-tune settings, users will
> need to go through a submenu. But with the current design, they need to go
> through a submenu to do everything. So I don't think this makes the
> situation worse for the minority, and it does make it better for the
> majority.

One think that would make it easier is if the keyboard selection *showed* you
what the layout you were choosing actually looked like. (Hence the '?' mark
in your comments above. ;-) )

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/