List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Website
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-06-20 7:16:27

On June 20, 2002 11:28 am, Simon Edwards wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> As some people here will remember, I recently wrote a summary of the work
> this project was doing/done. Anyway, I'll be putting up on the site RSN,
> but while I'm at it I want spend some time fixing up other problems on the
> site. Here are some of my thoughts about the site. What do the other people
> think?
>
> Usability/Quality Issues
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> * Links in the text are not underlined. They really should be underlined.

isn't this up to the browser? e.g. i have underlined links turned off. you can
just turn them on.

> * Poor navigation. The navigation only shows the first 2 levels of the
> site. This is a problem when you drill down into the site past 2 levels.

perhaps the menu on the left could be spiffed up a bit?

> * Relationship between the menubar/column and the current page is not
> shown. i.e. the current page you are on should be shown on the menu.

/me nods

cf: how kde.org shows where you are as a path in the banner

> * "Family" links are links to outside the site, but they are not
> distingished from the internal links.
>
> * "Family" is a bad name, maybe "Related Projects" is better.
>
> * The "Family" links are just website dns names and do a poor job of
>  explaining the site they leed too. Geek alert. Wouldn't the project names
> be better?

the Family section is standard across *kde.org web sites... the project names
would be a good addition, though

> * webmaster@usability.kde.org bounces.

/me laughs

> * To read a news item from the front page you need to click on the news
>  heading. It may not be obvious that the headinglink should be clicked on.
> I think it is better if the whole news article is displayed on the front
> page. They are not that big anyway.

cf: the announcements on kde.org

> * Difficult to get to the front page. Link to the front page is not
> obvious.
>
> * The front page doesn't quickly explain what the Usability project is
> about. It should explain what the project is about in one line (a tag-line
> perhaps). This should be the first line on the front page.

yup.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein