List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Website
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-06-20 17:28:23

Hello Everyone,

As some people here will remember, I recently wrote a summary of the work this
project was doing/done. Anyway, I'll be putting up on the site RSN, but while
I'm at it I want spend some time fixing up other problems on the site. Here
are some of my thoughts about the site. What do the other people think?

Usability/Quality Issues
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Links in the text are not underlined. They really should be underlined.

* Poor navigation. The navigation only shows the first 2 levels of the site.
This is a problem when you drill down into the site past 2 levels.

* Relationship between the menubar/column and the current page is not shown.
i.e. the current page you are on should be shown on the menu.

* "Family" links are links to outside the site, but they are not distingished
 from the internal links.

* "Family" is a bad name, maybe "Related Projects" is better.

* The "Family" links are just website dns names and do a poor job of
 explaining the site they leed too. Geek alert. Wouldn't the project names be
 better?

* webmaster@usability.kde.org bounces.

* To read a news item from the front page you need to click on the news
 heading. It may not be obvious that the headinglink should be clicked on. I
 think it is better if the whole news article is displayed on the front page.
 They are not that big anyway.

* Difficult to get to the front page. Link to the front page is not obvious.

* The front page doesn't quickly explain what the Usability project is about.
It should explain what the project is about in one line (a tag-line perhaps).
This should be the first line on the front page.

Revamp
~~~~~~

Proposed new structure:

About
  Goals              - What's the point, how the project works.
  Mailing List       - About the list. Joining, leaving etc.
  Contacting         - Methods for contacting the project's members.
  Project FAQ        - FAQs about the project itself.

Development          - (I couldn't think of a better heading).
  Articles           - A dumping ground for articles and perhaps important
                       posts from he list.
  Usability Reports  - The usability reports.
  Completed Work     - Write-ups, articles about what has been done and why.
  KDE Usability FAQ  - FAQs that keep on showing up on the list, including
                       Aaron's famous "User Levels" FAQ.

Resources
  Books              - All the good UI design info is in books, not on the
                       web. Here's some tips.
  Links              - Links to other sites/pages.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/