List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOffice Dialog Box
From:       Joseph Manojlovich <josephm () mail ! sis ! pitt ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-19 15:13:08

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Gordon Tyler wrote:

> > More on this... why not just get rid of the ability to open or start
> > new files from within a running KWord process? Since each KWord is a
> > separate document, why not just make the user click on the KWord icon
> > again manually to start a new document, or open an existing document?
>
> Actually, that would start a separate KWord process which would waste
> memory. When the user uses the New command, it just opens a new window using
> the same process and saves memory.

Well, in Unix the read-only text segments of KWord would be shared
anyway. However, since a new KWord process is not starting, then why
does the "new KWord" dialog box need to appear (on File->New, or the
New toolbar button)?

Why can't KWord use a modified dialog box in this instance? All one
would have to do is modify the dialog box to take some boolean, that
would determine whether to display the middle two options "Open a
recent document" and "Open an existing document" which do not belong on
a dedicated new document dialog box.

--
Joe Manojlovich
josephm@sis.pitt.edu