List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOffice Dialog Box
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-06-19 0:01:45

On June 18, 2002 05:20 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> I can't see how this is much different from the "dont show this again"
> checkbox on the tips at startup.

the tips are informational not functional.
TOM vs the KMenu present two equivalent functionalities.

> Im sorry, i still think it brings inconsistency as it is the only range
> of applications with this behavior.

and kscd is incosistent, and kcalc is inconsistent and....

... koffice follows the kde styleguides and all the koffice apps are
consistent on this point.

> I also think many people would
> click on a file if they want to open it instead of just click on the
> program icon and choose open.

this is only one of the functions of the dialog, and yes, i usually click on
the app then open because the app icons tend to be far more accessable for
me.

> > so, is there a way to make this intro more palletable (sp) so people
> > won't immediately want to hide it?
>
> I have been trying to think about this one, but i fail to find any
> reason why i would want anything but a blank document at startup.

templates, start editing a recent doc ... i use those very regularly, as do
many others that i know...

> >  o the layout is rather complex, esp with the default being on the
> > bottom not the top
>
> It is complex, it did confuse me the first few times, and i hardly think
> im a joe sixpack.

yep..

> >  o it is another window. you ask for a simple app and up pops two
> > windows! o it is modal (lack of user control; very frustrating)
> >  o a quick and simple way to dismiss it isn't apparent to many users
> > (press enter)
>
> I think the real problem is that we are many who simply don't see a need
> for the dialog. While i will admit that i can see that some people
> might want it, i just don't think forcing it down peoples throats is a
> good idea.

they may not see a need for the dialog, but there are good reasons for it.
users tend to be very good at wanting what they already know and not wanting
anything else. users are the biggest blockade to advancement on the desktop.

ironic, isn't it?

> file -> new. I mean, why on earth can i choose to open an existing
> document from there? Thats "open" not "new"

"new window", not "new document" ... SDI vs MDI...

> Another issue that i have with it is the templates themselves. I mean,
> what is "plain text"? what paper size does that use? same with memo, is
> that a4 or letter? Why is the paper size chosen there at all, how many
> can actually use both paper types? I dont even know if you can buy
> letter here. What is the exact difference between text orientated and
> page layout templates?

this is irrelevant to the issue of the dialog, but yes, the templates could
use some help too.

> I think the dialog, in its current form, presents more problems than it
> solves. While i can see ways to fix more of those issues (like the open
> existing file open from the new menu and the pretty confusing
> templates) i honestly still dont see much point in having the dialog
> and wizard or not, i find it extremely intrusive and am not convinced
> that it provides any real benefit in the first place.

"the problems could be solved and we could have something better, but instead
lets just rip it out"

this is where those asking for it not to be there and i differ =)

> PS: While i might sound like the opposite, i think koffice is improving
> nicely, though i still think it is quite rough edged. But it is
> deffinately getting better.

agreed.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo